Friday, January 16, 2009

A silver lining

I can't remember ever being so sick for so long but there were some good things that have come of it all. I am finally, after three weeks, feeling like I'm about 100%. I still get tired easy and I'm trying to be smart about adding more activity to my schedule. But - I thank everyone that called or emailed asking about me. Bruce's secretary told me that the Monday morning after I was in the hospital her phone began ringing at 8:00 with people from the university who had heard about my scare wanting to be assured that I was okay. Sue Clark called almost everyday after she took me to the doctor on Monday to make sure I was okay and wanted to bring me soup. My friends in the Stake RS Presidency brought us food that lasted for several days. Scarlett called to ask if I needed anything and if she could run errands. Jen checked up on my everyday and brought be flowers. She came over an evening last week and helped me put away Christmas finally. I don't know what I would have done without that help. Bruce worked a bit last Saturday and President Clark was there also. He noticed that Bruce was in his office and came by to ask about me. I was touched by the gesture. One of the paramedics that helped me is a student on campus and she came up to the office in the Clark on Wednesday to see how I was. She was so kind. But the most surprising thing (I have said for a long time that I didn't feel attached to anyone in my home ward after being on campus for 5 years) was the reaction from the ward. My RS president called and was upset that she hadn't known that I had been so sick. She wanted me to know that I was loved and thought of. My visiting teachers brought meals and a Carla Lamp brought bread over and called after to make sure I was doing all right. I appreciated those calls and food so much, not because we couldn't manage but because it showed I am cared about and thought of. I am so grateful for that lesson.

1 comment:

The Dinner Belle said...

I remember feeling that same way when I was dealing with everything with Alex. It was a true testimony to the fact that I have lots of people in my life who love me. Same goes for you! WE all love you! Glad you're feeling better.