Sunday, January 18, 2009

I was embarrassed for him!

Today in sacrament meeting I was a witness to a very disturbing talk. A young man (last semester senior and a returned missionary) was the concluding speaker. He had 20 minutes, and he took them all. During the course of his talk I heard the following:

  • 2 times he used the word Dude
  • 4 times he said the phrase "oh crap"
  • 5 times he said some version of "it sucks" - including when referring to not being ready for the celestial kingdom
  • he said if you don't keep the commandments you are in deep doo doo
  • 3 times he said if he was offending anyone, sorry too bad
  • he admitted that he listens to inappropriate music - buy hey the people who know him understand that he just loves the artists
  • he said he prepared his talk at the last minute (like that was a surprise) and was confused as to why he had not gotten inspiration while he was wrestling the day before or at the hockey game the evening before in Wyoming
  • he said that he watches sports center all day long everyday and because of that he felt that the bishopric were rude because they came to visit during a playoff game. He said that he didn't listen to anything they said and just nodded or said "ya." He said that he made some "bad" comment because of a play he was unhappy with, but he didn't care how they felt about him because he was in his last semester.
  • all in all he was surprised they had asked him to speak (I bet the bishopric was sorry they had asked).

I could not even look at him and the poor bishop just sat with his head hanging down during this boy's talk. I wonder if he will ever understand appropriate behavior in a church meeting.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Oh my word! Did the Bishop say anything at the end to actually invite the spirit? Holy cow...I have heard some bad ones, but this just may take the cake!

Rolyndia said...

WOW!!! I don't know what to say.