In Sacrament Meeting yesterday a young man gave his report on his mission. He made the comment during his talk that if we understand the gospel with our minds but not our hearts, then we cannot change. It got me thinking about Laman and Lemuel. They had seen some incredible things, including angels - on several occasions, but that was not enough to make a difference in the way they viewed spiritual things. Their hearts had not changed and even though they saw, they did not feel. They complained, blamed others, turned their backs on the Lord, fell away.
I looked at some of my favorite places in the scriptures today and was reminded that in order to make the necessary changes that bring us to God and help us become more like the Savior, we must open our hearts to spiritual understanding.
A couple of the things I looked up were:
Alma 5:6-7 Have I remembered what the Lord has done for others; His mercy, His love, and how others have been delivered from hell (I think of it in forms on earth also - sometimes in situations we find ourselves in, or what people say and do, or even in health issues)? The Lord awakened them to spiritual things and changed their hearts. He can do the same for me.
Alma 5:12-15 It is through faith that my heart can be changed. I must humble myself and put my trust in God and be faithful. When I receive a mighty change in my heart then His countenance can shine through me.
D&C 8:2 The Lord will tell me in my mind and in my heart (by the Holy Ghost) and those together breed testimony. Without the heart part though, I don't think true conversion comes.
I'm Back
10 years ago


No comments:
Post a Comment