Saturday, February 27, 2010

They're in the Wrong Place

This morning I am going through the things that arrived last night that belonged to my mother. She had placed sticky notes on many of her things to show to whom she wanted them to go and had left a very detailed will that included everything from her jewelry to the butter churn she had used as a child. You really have to know her to appreciate this list.

This morning I have handled every quilt, every picture, and every treasure she wanted me to have and as I have put them on shelves and walls I can't help but think this is not where they belong, about where they were in her home, where they were displayed for so many years. The quilts smell like her and because of that I don't want to wash them.

So, I welcome them here in my home, as a reminder of everything she was (and still is), a faithful, loving mother, wife, daughter and friend. Thank you, Mom for all you taught me and for the example you have always been.

1 comment:

The Sutton Family said...

I kinda know how you feel. When my mom dropped of my things, I had a hard time even going through them. I didn't want to take the smell, the dust, anything away that had been a part of her. I have hung things on my wall, placed things on shelves, but it's just not the same. I can see in my mind where things hung at her house, where my quilt sat in her closet--it's tough, but like you, I'm glad to welcome a piece of her in MY home. Love you!