Thursday, November 12, 2009

Red, Yellow, and Green Viking Meals

When we were in Minnesota in August we were able to go to a Vikings practice. Bruce has become acquainted with Les Pico who is responsible for player development and he got us sideline passes. We were close enough that we could hear plays being called and those grunting noises that they make when they are plowing into each other. While we were there Les was telling me about where the players live and I asked about how they do their meals. That leads me to an assignment I gave my class on Monday.

I related the experience and told them that the Viking's chef plans red, yellow, and green versions of each of the meals they serve during training. I gave them a case to work on; they had been hired to be the chef for training camp. I divided the class into teams and they had to work together to first decide the criteria for how they see these meals being categorized, and then plan one day's menu based on what they decided as a group. We had been studying nutrition so it was interesting to hear how their discussions were going. I heard them talking about portion size, calories, fat, vitamins, protein, etc.

After they were finished with their planning we talked about how they decided what red, yellow, and green meant and then how they went about planning the meals. We shared some of their menu choices and it was a great class.

No comments: