I'm Back
10 years ago
Notes from the "Berg"
August 5,
2012
I learned more about Dengue (rhymes with Ben Gay) than I
wanted to this week. It is a virus that
you contact from the mosquitos that bite in the daytime. The ones you see at dusk here are pesky, but
they won’t hurt you. After 5 days of
running a high fever upwards of 102 (especially at night when I was so hot I
was afraid to take my temperature), body aches (you can’t stand because it
hurts, you can’t sit because it hurts, and you can’t sleep because it hurts),
chills (I never thought I would be cold here – ever), we finally called our
mission doctor. What I didn’t realize at
the time was that I was on the last day of this fever/virus and if I just had
waited one more day it would have all been over. Anyway it was the morning of Zone Leader’s
Council and I knew Bruce had to go and that I was not going to be able to
fulfill my assignments at the meeting because my fever was back up to 101 and I
was flat in bed that we called the doctor.
I could hear Bruce’s end of the conversation and I knew they were
talking about blood work at a lab. I had
hoped beyond hope I would make it the whole 3 years without having to experience
medicina Méxica, but that was not to be.
Panic set in when I realized that Bruce would not be able to go with
me. I can barely say hello so I didn’t
see how I was going to be able to explain that I needed a biometría hemática
completa. Fortunately the Assistants were able to break away from the meeting
to take me to the lab. I was so thankful
they were there because I was so out of it I wasn’t even sure when the lady
asked for my name (which I wrote out on a piece of paper because I didn’t think
I could make her understand how to say or spell it) and I had no idea that she
asked for my age. To my surprise the
lab was clean and the nurse that took my blood was quick and it was pretty
painless. The whole test cost 112 pesos
which in American dollars is less than $10 and I got the results 4 hours
later. I was able to go to the
Leadership Training Meeting on Friday and I was comparing symptoms with another
missionary who had been diagnosed with Dengue.
They were the same – bad, but that 6th day you get up with no
fever and feel wasted, but okay.
I had a missionary call me yesterday to say his companion
was sure he had Dengue because he had a new mosquito bite. I asked what his symptoms were – vomiting and
a fever. I said nope, that’s not Dengue
(I wanted to say – call me when you have 30 on your legs like I do, but I
didn’t). I had another missionary call
me to say that he had a really high fever and he wanted to know what to do. I asked how high his fever was and he said he
didn’t know because he didn’t have a thermometer. How about you take it and then call me
back? Another missionary called me this
morning to see if I knew of a really quick way to get over the flu. After he told me what he had been doing, I
just told him he was doing all of the right things and he would just have to
wait it out. I had an elder (who is
fairly young in the mission) call for one of the sister missionaries who
doesn’t speak very much English because she wanted him to help her be sure I
knew what her ailment was and what help she needed. He told me she had head lice and wanted to go
to see a dermatologist. I said, “Elder
she doesn’t need to see a dermatologist to get rid of head lice,” and I told
him what she needed to do. She called a
bit later and with her broken English and my broken Spanish I finally knew what
she had really asked him to tell me. We
got her the help she needed and yes she did need the specialist. Before she hung up she wanted to be sure to
know she did NOT have head lice.
Something got lost in translation.
I love these boys.
We received two new missionaries this week – one on Monday
afternoon (he had been waiting for his visa) and one on Tuesday morning. We tried to make things the same for them as
when we get missionaries on the regular cycle, but it wasn’t quite the same
when we unrolled our big sign with only one name on it. We still took our Monday missionary from
Nicaragua to tacos and then had breakfast for the missionary that came on
Tuesday. This was one we did not know
about and had not been expecting, who had been in the mission field for 10
months and then decided to go home. We
are so happy he is back and we can see he is completely committed to working
hard.
Bruce tried his hand at BBQing this week. Would you be surprised to know that it did
not turn out like we expected? The
package of what we thought would be briquettes looked exactly the same as the
ones we buy at home. That’s where you
get sucked in – when the pictures and brand name are the same. I marinated the steaks and we started the
“coals.” Surprise! The bag is filled with large pieces of
charred wood and dust. The BBQ is
attached to the side of the house and the fire rose higher and higher. At first we thought we might singe the side
of the house, but then we remember the walls are 6-inch thick concrete so
nothing was going to burn – including the wood.
I pan fried the steaks and we ate dinner. Bruce checked on the fire outside about 2
hours later and discovered it was just right for s’mores (haven’t seen
marshmallows or graham crackers here so that was not to be).
On Friday night after the Leadership Training that I did get
to go to, we went over to the bishop’s house for tacos and soup. He has a regular job during the day and then
on Wednesday through Saturday nights they make food to sell. This is a very common thing for people to do
and it is not unusual to see tables and chair outside someone’s house where
neighborhood folks come for dinner. We
only got lost once getting to the bishop’s house, parked and enter their
courtyard. The house is tiny (so small
you would have driven right by and never even noticed it there) and the
courtyard had tables, chairs, their food station and then junk piled up against
the side of the building next door. The
food was good – the place was spotless – and we told the bishop we be back
often. He didn’t want us to pay for the
food we had but we told him that we couldn’t come back if he didn’t let us give
him something. Bruce slipped some money
in his hand and we made the drive across town to the mission home. These people are eking out a living and are
so humble but would give us anything they had.
The family is remarkable.
Yesterday Bruce made a very long drive to visit two of our
problem missionaries. This involved
maneuvering around horses, goats, burros, and dogs, along very bumpy roads that
were not marked. Oh he even had to
swerve to avoid a landslide. One of
these missionaries is reported to have a girlfriend whom he talks to every
night up on the roof of their house (because he has his own phone) and is
saving money from his monthly allotment from the mission for his support and
has it in an “I’m going to bring my girlfriend home with me” fund. He is now
threatening to physically hurt his companion if he doesn’t go along with his
crazy ideas of going to visit this girl.
We’ll see how this all play out once our office elders can verify the
information. We may be sending a missionary home this week. Note:
While I have been writing this Bruce has talked to Salt Lake and our Area
Presidency – he will go in the morning with 2 elders so he won’t be doing this
alone, to have this missionary pack his things and he will be on a plane
tomorrow night for home. During the
drive, he discovered two more situations where missionaries have gotten into
some difficulties with girls in their areas, becoming WAY too familiar. This even involves one of our office elders
which makes the situation even harder to deal with. So he was arranging 2 emergency transfers as
well as interviews with both missionaries while on the drive home. He was pretty tired when he got to the
mission home and I had been doing quiet mission stuff all day still recovering
from my fever/virus goo from the week, so we decided to try a new taco place we
found when we were lost the night before.
Their specialty is tacos al pastor – muy rico! When you all come to visit, this IS the place
we will take you.
The missionaries are wonderful and as I watched and listened
to their interaction with Bruce – with both questions and answers – I feel of
their great spirits. Bruce has been
truly inspired with the direction he has given them and we have both been so
grateful for the way they have accepted his guidance. There have been many missionaries who have
expressed their love and gratitude. Life
is much easier when we are obedient to what we know to be right – I have seen
this over and over as we have watched how our missionaries behave when we are
around and, most importantly, when we are not.
Posted by
Alynda
at
12:41 PM
1 comment:
My brother Ron told me about your blog. This is great stuff. You are amazing. So glad to hear you survived the Dengue.
Post a Comment