July 22, 2012
Monday was
Christmas – or at least that is what the FM manager told us when our things
arrived. The FM group that takes care of
the church buildings in the area is responsible for the mission home and the
grounds. The movers came about 9am and
there were several wonderful helpers from that FM group that hauled boxes
around the house and upstairs. Bruce
said is really wasn’t Christmas because we weren’t getting anything new – just
our old stuff. However there were a
couple of things that we couldn’t help saying, “I really missed that,” so I
guess it was better than Christmas because it was stuff we really wanted. Now I realize there were some things I did
not need to pack and some things I really wish I had thought to bring along –
oh well.
Here is how our things came from the
movers. They had been transported in
this crate.
Things I have
learned this week:
·
Trying
to plan a menu for an important dinner here in Mexico is a hard thing to do
- ingredients for cooking the things I am used to just cannot be found
(I mean there is nothing even close to substitute). I have wanted to scream at
the store a time or two or three or four (or multiple stores you have to go to
because you can’t find everything in one, or even two places) as I have tried
to plan and prepare food for a member of the Area Presidency and his wife who
came to dinner today, as well as the newly arriving and the departing
missionaries. Friday I almost had a
breakdown in Costco when I thought I was going to have to scrap my entire menu
and start over, of course after I had purchased half of what I thought I needed
at another store. The dinner turned out really good – all four courses – so I
think I might pat myself on the back for making do with what I could find. Bruce even said that it all tasted just like
home – well not quite but I appreciate his encouragement.
·
The
maps here are terrible. Even worse is
the fact that most of the streets are not marked and highway signs (not to
mention any directional signs) simply don’t exist. After being one hour late for interviews in
Galeana because we were lost for 2 hours, I have vowed that I will never go
anywhere without having used Google Maps first.
On Friday I Googled how to get to Costco (it is very complicated and we
got lost once this week trying to get home) and I have started a file so I can
keep directions I print off. By the time
we come home, we might need a dedicated room for all of the “how do I get
there” files.
·
It
doesn’t take much to make you a hero - One elder asked me if I could give him
the recipe for French toast – at first I thought he was kidding. He said how much he loved French toast and
missed it so much. He was so excited
that I knew how to make it without looking at a recipe.
·
Some
mothers do not prepare their sons for the mission field - . A missionary told me he had joined the “brown
spot club” (he only told this story after his companion goaded him into telling
me) and had called the previous mission president’s wife to ask how to get, and
I quote, “caca” out of his garments. He
said this in English and she told him she did not understand and to explain in
Spanish. He did, and this time she did
understand and was horrified, handing the phone to her husband –where upon the
missionary repeated his question.
Apparently here that word means something very vulgar (well it’s not so
great in English either but you can imagine what it meant in Spanish) so the
president told him not to ever use that phrase again instead use poo poo. Okay he said – how do I get poo poo out of my
garments? The president said, “With soap
Elder.”
·
It’s
easy to almost kiss someone when you are trying to greet them - Another
missionary told me that he almost kissed the previous mission president as he
was trying to greet him the first time.
Here when the elders do the shake – hug – shake ritual it is on the
opposite side from what we do in the U.S. so the elder went one way and the
president went the other which meant they met almost lip to lip.
·
When
you hit your head on the wall it hurts -
One elder called me to say that he” accidently” hit his head on the wall
that morning and thought he had a concussion.
I asked him what made him think he had a concussion (was he nauseous,
did he have any blurred or double vision, was he sleepy etc) and he said he was
sure he had a concussion because his head really hurt. I asked him, “Elder do you think your head
might hurt because you hit it on the wall?”
His response, “Oh ya that’s probably it.
I told him to take some Tylenol and call me if he got worse – guess
what, he is fine. I can’t make this
stuff up!
·
Sometimes
if you just ask how a missionary is, he takes his shoe off to shows you his toe
– he did, to show me his ingrown toenail.
It was nasty and we talked about what he should do. Another wanted to take his shoe off and show
me the fungus on his foot – I just said that’s okay I believe you, and we
talked about the treatment.
·
If
you leave anything out on the counter, it means anyone can eat it. I made some little corn cakes for an
appetizer for the dinner with Elder and Hermana D’Hoyas today that I was going
to top with some bean salsa. I put them
on the counter to cool before I wrapped them up. We left for a little bit to do some site
seeing in Cuernavaca Centro and while we gone some people from the FM Group
came to do some minor repairs. While they were here they ate most of the corn
cakes. Imagine my surprise when I
noticed most of the cakes were gone when we got back. Fortunately I had enough.
·
Being
stung by a certain kind of beetle can cost you your arm – One elder called to
say that he had been bitten in the night.
After he described what his arm was looking like I told him to go to the
doctor to see if he needed an antibiotic.
When he called me back after the appointment he told me that they had
put him on two medicines and that if that didn’t work they were going to have
to remove his arm. What? I have never prayed harder than I did for
this missionary and I am glad to report he is responding to the treatment.
·
Sometimes
you have to make hard phone calls – Bruce had to call one of our missionaries
to tell him that his grandfather has passed away. This elder knew it was a possibility that his
grandfather would not be there when he got home, but it is still hard news to
get. His dad said to tell him that his
grandfather was going to help him now from the other side. We called him last night to make sure he was
doing okay.
·
Missionaries
understand how hard it is to learn the language and they will help me – one
missionary told me about trying to call the president’s wife the first week he
was in Mexico to tell her his companion was sick. Here is the conversion:
o
Hermana
mi compañero está enfermo.
o
Does
he have a fever?
o
(pause)
Hermana mi compañero está enfermo
o
Is
he vomiting?
o
(longer
pause) Hermana mi compañero está enfermo
o
Does
he have chills?
o
(longer
pause) Hermana mi compañero está enfermo
o
Can
you give the phone to your companion so he can tell me what he has?
We survived
50 plus hours of interviews and our first transfers. The Assistants are coming over this afternoon
to make the changes on the big board in Bruce’s office. They had mentioned that they plan to be very
nice while they are here in the hopes I will make some treats for them. I think that can be arranged. We took some time yesterday to see one of the
big cathedrals in the center part of Cuernavaca and the Palace of Cortez – both
built in the 1500’s. I have been told
that I was lucky that no one with a gun came and took my camera away because I
was taking pictures that had other people in them besides us. This can be a big problem if you happen to
catch one of the really bad guys here so the advice is take pictures of only
landscapes. Wow I guess I dodged a
bullet this time – literally.
We are safe,
we are happy, we are working hard, and we are getting ready to greet our new
missionaries from Mexico City and Provo tomorrow and send our first group of 14
home on Wednesday.

No comments:
Post a Comment