On Sunday we were at Primary Children's Medical Center to be with Jen and Ellis after his surgery. Tami came up to the hospital and brought Ian, Kennedy, and Afton. After we examined and cheered over what the Easter Bunny had brought for the kids (items that had been so generously donated by the community for Ellis as well as his siblings), we went to the conference room for church.
Families came with their small loved ones. Some came in wagons (like Ellis), some in wheel chairs, but all attached to IVs and monitors. As I looked around the room I could not help but feel that this was a special gathering, people who WANTED to be at church that Easter morning.
The program was short; an opening song and prayer followed by a Sacrament song and the administration of and passing of the sacred emblems, a musical number, and 2 talks (one by a small child who had himself been a patient many times at Primary's, and one by an adult), a closing song and prayer. The whole service was 30 minutes, but 30 minutes I will never forget. The sister who spoke used a talk from conference that had made a similar impact on me when I first heard it. It was given by a doctor who is now a Seventy. He told of an experience a young patient had had as she was in the recovery room following a 14-hour surgery. As she awoke, for 45 minutes, she told of all of the angels (deceased family members) who had attended her during the time of her operation and who were there with her in the recovery room. He went on to talk of angels who are here to aid all of us, especially through life's trials. The interesting thing is, we had told Ellis before he went into surgery to be sure to remember all those who had been with him - because of this talk. He could not remember who was there, but I know he was attended to by loved ones beyond the veil. As we sang the closing song (He Sent His Son) I was completely overcome with gratitude for my Savior and what he has done for me, and for all who were in that small room.
This was a sacred experience - one I will never forget.
Later, 3 members of the Primary in the branch came to have Primary with Ellis, Kennedy, and Ian. They showed pictures, sang songs, and bore testimony of Jesus. I saw them later walking the halls - to every room that asked for them to come. What wonderful people, who give so freely so our little ones can feel the Spirit too during their stay.
I'm Back
10 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment