Sunday the BYU-Idaho 3rd Stake Presidency was reorganized. Bruce was released as president and I was released as the first counselor in the Stake Relief Society Presidency. I was asked to bear my testimony in the Sunday session and I wanted to have a record of what I said (as near as I can recall).
Here it is:
When we got home from our meetings last night I discovered that my granddaughter (Kennedy)had sprinkled glitter all over our bathroom. When I asked her why she had done it she said that she wanted it to be sparkly. So if either President Kusch or I are sparkly today, it has nothing to do with the Holy Ghost and everything to do with a 6-year-old. (they laughed and I was glad)
This is a tender day for us so I am going to stick with what I know:
I know that I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ, that all things have been restored. Even in a world that is in commotion, where there are wars, struggles and strife, we can live under the umbrella of the gospel and we offer that to the world. That is wonderful!
I know our Heavenly Father knows us each completely and that He loves us perfectly. When we put our trust in Him, we will led to places and experiences we simply could not imagine. I did not know how much I wanted to live in Rexburg, but Heavenly Father did.
I know that Jesus Christ is my savior, my redeemer, my brother, and my friend. I am grateful for his life, his resurrection, and his atonement. Even though I don't know exactly how the atonement works, from my own experience I know that it does work. He suffered for our sins, our disappointments, our sorrows, and our heartaches.
I know we are led by a living prophet and that we would do well to prepare ourselves to hear from him in two weeks. We should hear, heed, and follow his words.
I know there is safety in being obedient. I am grateful for a loving Heavenly Father who gave us commandments to keep us safe.
I know there is peace in living an honorable life. One of honesty and integrity.
I know that prayer in the link to Heaven. In my life, when circumstances have been such that the only thing I could do about a situation, or to help a family members, was to pray, then pray I did. I am grateful for a loving Father who hears and answers our prayers, many times differently that we imagined, but always with what is best for us.
Now, a piece of motherly advice:
Yesterday I was sitting at my husband's desk studying when my grandson (Ellis)came in and asked,
"Where is Mommy?"
"She is at the store and will be home in a few minutes."
"I want to watch my movie."
"I know, you can watch it when Mommy gets home and she says it is okay."
With that his shoulders slumped and he looked completely saddened. I told him he could look out the window to watch for her. I went back to studying and he climbed up on the arm of the chair next to the desk. He was quiet a moment, then I heard:
"Ma, there is boy outside playing ball."
"Good."
"Ma, he doesn't have a coat on."
"Even better."
Then for the next several minutes he gave me a play by play of what the boy was doing - he's throwing the ball, he's kicking the snow with his shoes, oh he missed. Soon he ran away, no longer sad about having to wait for his mother's return and having to wait for the upcoming movie.
It has been a few years since I was your age (again they laughed, thankfully). Even though, I remember what is felt like. And I remember wasting time waiting, and waiting, and waiting for some future event to happen, all the while missing the good things of the present.
I pray you will not waste time here at school by saying: I can't wait until this semester is over, I can't wait until this year is over, I can't wait until I graduate, I can't wait until I leave Rexburg. Instead I hope you will have an experience like Ellis'. I hope you will look out and see the wonders of this place and enjoy the spirit here.
I thank you for the many things you have taught me as I have sat in your Sacrament Meetings, heard your testimonies, attended your Sunday School classes, and visited your Relief Societies. I want to be a better person because of my association with you; because of your wonderful examples.
I leave you with my love, but most importantly with my testimony that we are united in the great cause of truth, in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
I'm Back
10 years ago

1 comment:
Love that! I know you have made an impact on those girls' lives. I love you!
Post a Comment