A few days ago I received the following email (with the title "a random letter from an inquiring mind") from a former member of our student stake:
Awhile back you and President Kusch did a question and answer FHE or fireside with our ward. There were several things you said that brought me great comfort and I've taken with me. Thank you for your service and love. It's had a great impact in my life, it truly has.
During that question and answer period, the two of you talked a little about your dating experience and explained some of the bumps you went through during your courtship. People have always painted a picture of what courtship and dating should look and feel like. My parents, for example, knew they would marry one another from the first time they met. Thank you both for being so candid and explaining that it doesn't have to work like that to be right.
For the past several months I have repeatedly felt like I should send you an email, asking you to elaborate on your experience and what you learned from it. I keep putting it off and dismissing the notion but the thought returns, so I figure it's time I respond to the prompting. I'm not looking for a lengthy or specific response. I recognize you're busy and would appreciate anything you'd feel like sharing with me.
I wasn't sure how to respond to her but after giving it some thought this was my reply:
I would be happy to share with you the lessons I learned from our experience. These are lessons that I have relied on greatly.
* It is essential to follow the promptings of the Holy Ghost
* It is vital that both of you know that marriage to each other in the temple is the right thing to do, even if it takes one of you a bit longer to come to that conclusion
* Sometimes the Holy Ghost speaks quickly and sometimes we need to be patient and continue on in righteousness knowing that the Lord knows our hearts
* The Lord works on his time table
* Anything of value is worth waiting for, especially a temple marriage
I heard from her a few days later and she said that what I had told her had been very helpful. These are good lessons to remember.
I'm Back
10 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment