Sunday, January 24, 2010

I Wish She Hadn't Told Me

Last Thursday night we went to dinner with the rest of the Academic Office personnel. When the Dean of the Business College came with her husband they sat right behind us. After she greeted everyone that was sitting by her, she leaned back and said hello to me. Then she asked Bruce if he had told me. He said, "No." She said something like when he decided it was time to tell me then that would be good (or something to that effect) and started to turn around. I stopped her and said that she couldn't make such a comment and then just leave it. Well she explained that when they knew that they were making a change in who was managing the advising center for the College of Business that she had called Bruce to tell him that I was her choice to take over that position. She asked him to check into whether it was legal to offer it to me. (He told me that I was his first choice too) I would have LOVED that job! Well it wasn't legal with the university because the position reports to someone who reports to Bruce and they consider that nepotism. I asked him later why he hadn't said anything to me and he said that he didn't want me to be disappointed and feel bad. He was right, and I wish now that she would not have said anything to me at all.

No comments: