I went in early this morning to make some icing for my classes next week. It was about an hour before my baking lab was ready to begin and another teacher also came a bit early to make 2 batches of pizza dough (for his outdoor cooking class so they could make pizza in their dutch ovens) and put it in the proofer. My students made Amish soft pretzels in class so they had some dough in the proofer as well but only a very small amount compared to Jeff's. I suggested that they label their Kitchenaid bowl because everyone's looked exactly alike. None did - they were sure they could remember where they had put in. Each batch should make 5-6 pretzels. I was helping some student with their yeast when one team (two students) took theirs out of the proofer and began to scale their little globs of dough. I came around the corner to the baking area of the kitchen and saw about 12 dough balls in front of them.
I asked them to tell me about their dough - was it one batch, did you weigh everything correctly, are you sure this was your dough. You know, questions like that. They assured me that it was theirs and that somehow the recipe they used had made more than anyone elses. Just as they were forming their pretzels Jeff came looking for his dough. It was gone from the proofer. In short, my students had taken it and started to use it. I stopped them and we salvaged some of the dough that had not been shaped and I told them to get their dough from the proofer. They did. I came by their area a few minutes later and they again had 12 little dough balls, and were busy making them into pretzels and dipping them in the soda water that gives them their distinctive taste.
A few minutes Jeff came looking for his other batch. It too was gone from the proofer and lay in front of my students. The students refused to believe it was not theirs until I went to the proofer, opened it (everyone else was done by now), and inside was one lone bowl of, yes, pretzel dough. At this point there was little to be done because Jeff's class had already started. I kneaded some flour into what was left and got it nice and soft, put it back in the proofer, and apologized profusely to Jeff. My students took home 24 pretzels that taste like bread dough sprinkled with coarse salt, and Jeff's are, by now, enjoying dutch oven pizza that has a strange resemblance to Amish soft pretzels.
This is live entertainment and it never gets dull for me!
I'm Back
10 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment