Okay - today the baking class was decorating the cakes that they baked last week. I gave them some specific instructions for making the butter cream icing including the fact that if 2 students wanted to work together and make a double batch (times 2 of the original recipe) of icing it would fit in one of the kitchen aid mixers. I said that only TWO batches would fit however.
Some students came to get me a bit later to have a look at their icing, and ask how they were going to fit all of the rest of the confectioners' sugar (they had 4 pounds left to add) into the bowl. When I got to the bakery part of the kitchen I saw that their icing was mounded up over the top of the kitchen aid bowl and was about to spill out onto the table. I asked them how many batches they were trying to squeeze into this one mixer. Their answer - FOUR!
I had them scrape out all of what they had in the kitchen aid and move it to the big Hobart mixer. They added the rest of the sugar and the water they had calculated and turned on the mixer. After they mixed it some they had a big dry glob of icing. I asked them about the quantities they had measured and found out that they used an old scale that was not good for precise measurements. They should have had 8 pounds of powdered sugar and I am sure they had at least one if not two extra pounds. I added some more water and managed to get it to a consistency where they could use it.
It's always an adventure - I love it!


No comments:
Post a Comment