Last Friday I had a group of students make this for their broth based soup assignment. We sold it in the little cafe (Emma's) that is right next to the kitchen in the Clark. It was good enough that I made it for company that night. This is a winner.
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 medium onions - thinly sliced
10 cloves of garlic - thinly sliced (actually I chopped mine fine)
2 jalapeno chilies - thinly sliced (depending how hot you want the soup will determine whether you leave any or all of the seeds in)
1 1/2 pounds chicken breast - cut into matchstick like strips
2 1/2 quarts chicken broth
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
2 large tomatoes - seeded and chopped
1/2 cup cilantro - chopped
1 1/2 cups orzo - cooked in boiling, salted water until just tender
Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and chilies and saute until onion begins to brown (about 4 minutes).
Add chicken and saute 1 minute, add broth, lime juice and tomato. Simmer until chicken is cooked through (about 3 minutes)
Mix in orzo, then chopped cinaltro. Season with salt and pepper.
Garnish with cilantro sprigs.
This makes 10-12 servings. I served some yummy bread and a simple green salad. I finished it off with some homemade ice cream and it was a great meal, at least that is what my company said (please keep in mind however they were boys here is school so anything that didn't begin with top ramen would be an improvement).
I'm Back
10 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment