We are now in our new home in North Salt Lake and Bruce has begun his new job at LDS Business College. This move has meant that I am no longer able to work for BYU-Idaho and I am sad about that; I miss my team and working with the students. I trust the Lord; that there will be something for me to do to contribute as well.
This is looking the other way from the kitchen. I loved this room.
Our contractor built this beautiful rock and wood fireplace in the basement. It was a good place to relax.
We also had added a little kitchen area complete with sink, fridge and microwave. We never got a chance to really use it.
The downstairs bathroom was so lovely - the people who bought the house I think will love it like we did.
And then on Tuesday, March 22nd this was the view from my office window. The movers had come to pack up everything. Bruce was already in Salt Lake (staying at the LDSBC Hosting Center - a house that had once been occupied by the college president) and I was alone in Rexburg. This was not a fun time for either of us.
In a few hours time we went from this -
To this! I stayed in a hotel that night and met the movers early the next morning so they could load the moving van. I cleaned as they emptied rooms and finished up after they drove away. I followed them out of town and met Bruce in Salt Lake at a hamburger joint across the street from LDS Business College. My life in Utah was beginning.
That night we stayed at the Hosting Center. The precious president was a very tall man and they had this bed made for him. I am standing beside it (it stood about 4 inches above my waist) and I wondered how I would be able to crawl inside the covers. I had to stand on the side rails and kind of jump up. I decided that I was going to sleep in my own bed the next night even if everything else was in boxes.
Here is our street - we live at 191 Edgecrest Lane, North Salt Lake, Utah.
Here is the view from our dining room window. I hope they never build any homes below us. We can see the lake and the mountains beyond.
The movers had everything unloaded by early afternoon and Bill and Scarlett Holman (friends from Rexburg who now in the valley) came to help us unpack. Guess what Scarlett and I did first? We found the linens for the bed and got it made. That night Bruce went back to the Hosting Center because we could not find the iron and ironing board and we had no refrigerator so he could eat breakfast. I stayed in my own bed alone and was awake a good part of the night because the lights from the valley below were very bright, I heard trains, and I was a little bite nervous. I got up at 3:30 and worked for a couple of hours unloading kitchen boxes then went back to bed for a few hours. It was a strange time.
After a few days I noticed that when I started a load of laundry downstairs, it was spitting back up at me in the kitchen sink upstairs. The short story is that our sewer line was never connected and all of the water we had been using was just going in the dirt about 12 feet below the surface of the yard. One little backhoe later we had a huge hole in the front of the house. Jen and Brett came that weekend to help us put up ceiling fans and some other things that we had planned but we could not stay in the house because we could not use any water. The building company paid for 2 hotel rooms that night.
Saturday they connected our sewer line and we were good to go. In doing this however, they had to disconnect our neighbor's line. They are slated to move in this week so the builders, the city inspector, and the developers are having an on-site meeting here in our front yard to decide who was at fault and who will pay to have the repairs made. I am getting things put away and it is beginning to feel more like home.









No comments:
Post a Comment