Wednesday, May 23, 2012

A Good Food Experiment

I used my favorite bagel recipe.  I divided the dough in half and portioned the dough into 3 1/2 ounce rolls.  I smoothed  and benched them so they were nice and smooth.  I made the bagels like I always do and cut a cross into the tops of the pretzel rolls.  I had two pans of water going, one with 8 cups of water plus 1/3 cup sugar and the other with 8 cups of water and 1/3 cup of baking soda.  I poached the rolls for 1 minute on each side - the bagels in the sugar/water solution and the pretzels in the water/soda solution. 

It is really interesting how bread made from the same dough turns out so different depending what they are cooked in.  I used an egg wash and put them on parchment paper to bake them (after I set them on a clean towel to dry for a moment). 

Bake them for 10-15 minutes or until nice and brown.  The pretzels cooked faster.

No comments: