Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Our Box of Stuff

A large box arrived yesterday for us from the missionary department late yesterday afternoon.  It was filled with books, handbooks, pamphlets, videos and CDs.  We divided it up into piles for each of us (Bruce's is much larger than mine!) and began studying. 

We listened to a talk by Elder Bednar that was given at the training for new missions presidents last year (I think it was a devotional talk to all of the missionaries that were at the MTC at the time the mission presidents were there too).  It was wonderful and he spoke about teaching with the Spirit; getting out of the way and letting the Holy Ghost do the teaching, and becoming Preach My Gospel missionaries - very humbling because I have much to do to be prepared.  One thing that he said that I have now above my desk where I study is a little sign that says "You can do this!"  He told the missionaries at the devotional that if he could, he would take each one by the hand, draw them close, look them directly in the eye, and say that as an apostle of the Lord Jesus Christ, he would make this promise to each one - that they could do this!  He repeated this several times and I put my little sign up to remind myself that, as inadequate as I feel, the Lord will bless me and I can do this.

I was studying in Preach My Gospel this morning and read a statement by President Spencer W. Kimball.  He said, "Now is the moment in the timetable of the Lord to carry the gospel farther than it has ever been carried before...Let us take new courage from our studies and pray, as did Peter, 'And now Lord....grant unto thy servants, that with all boldness they may speak thy word.' " (Acts 4:29, Teachings of Spencer W. Kimball, page 546)  I think this scripture is a new favorite, I pray for boldness as I prepare.

No comments: