Thursday, January 19, 2012

Here we go!

One thing that we know for certain in life, the one constant - change is always around the corner.

Last week we had an experience that I never dreamed we would have.  We had the opportunity to meet with President Uchtdorf in his office.  He has extended a call to Bruce to serve as a mission president, and me to serve as his companion.  We know we will be speaking Spanish, but won't know exactly where our assignment will be until probably March 1.  We do know that there are 30 missions (receiving new presidents this year) that are Spanish - 4 in the US and 2 where they won't send any gringos.  We have been told that it is likely that we will have an international assignment, but we will happily go wherever the Lord calls us.   One mission that is available for an assignment is Aaron's.   Matt's and Allen's are on the list as well.  How great would that be?

We had a video conference with Elder Bednar on December 8th but he instructed us not to tell anyone about it.  It has been really hard not to say anything to our kids as we arranged for very extensive medical and dental exams, a picture taken for the Church News, a trip to Salt Lake, and why we were in missionary dress when we visited Carter at Primary Children's Medical Center last Thursday. 

We are excited, humbled, and I'm a little freaked out about the language, but I have been studying my nouns right now so I can name a lot of things around the house.  I also have learned some adjectives and am beginning on two verbs.  I can put together some VERY simple sentences.  Yikes, it's harder when you are old.  I know the Lord blesses the missionaries in learning their languages and I am counting on that! I will get a tutor from the MTC for Spanish which I know will help me, and we are going to go for a few days to the MTC in April so I can sit in on some classes.  They will also assign a tutor who will help us with learning Preach My Gospel.

We report to the MTC on June 23rd and leave for our assigned location somewhere around the 28th.  Not much time to find out what we are supposed to be doing.  We are expecting a package of materials either this week or next and then we can start getting ready.  The missionary department did email an electronic document with lots of information for this year's new missions presidents and it has answered a lot of questions about how these things work.

Here we go on an adventure of a lifetime!

3 comments:

Katherine said...

What exciting news! The missionaries you will work with are in for a treat! It was a great blessing for Dan and I to be able to work with you and learn from you both when we were in Rexburg. We love you both!

Elder and Sister Beesley said...

WOW!! We are so excited for you. What a great blessing you will be to those missionaries, where ever you go. Can't wait to hear where it will be.

Michelle Birch said...

This is wonderful!! You both are going to be amazing. Your missionaries are going to be in great hands and are so lucky. Can't wait to hear where you will go. I will miss seeing you in July!