Friday, July 15, 2011

Chopped - Fundamentals Style


Today in my culinary arts fundamental class the students were asked to create 2 identical plates based on a list of ingredients I gave them. I told them which protein to use, which cooking method to apply, which starch, green vegetable, root vegetable as well the cut they were to use, and one additional item to use.  They met together and decided on recipes then gave me a shopping list (complete with details so they could make sure their recipes would be standardized).  They had to be aware of the portion size, timing, presentation, taste, sanitation, etc. while they were working.

I gave them the count down to the time they had to have their plates in the dining room.  I tasted every one's dishes, made some comments of what they did well and some things they might consider changing especially if they were going to incorporate the dish on a menu, and asked some questions.  After I was done tasting, they each were able to fill their plates and taste each other's work. 

The best thing of all, aside from the good job they did on their food, was watching the entire class join together to clean the dining room and the lab.  No one was given a specific assigned area, they just began to work together.  It was awesome.

No comments: