Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Final Projects

Yesterday my students made their presentations and showed off their final cake projects. I have to say that there were some very highs and some lows when I saw them. I told them weeks ago to count on spending somewhere upwards of 25 hours on their cakes if they wanted to see the best results and it was clear which ones planned ahead and thought out their plan clearly and which ones waited until Monday night to try to bake and decorate their cakes. I had 40 students between the two sections and they amazed me once again with their creativity and skill. Most had never had any training and look what they have done!
That is Pete Rokozy in the background and this is his cake (he is hoping for an internship in London - can you tell it is on him mind?). It was amazing and he was pleased with what he had created. It is all cake and fondant. I have put in some pictures of the other cakes, but we had them spread around the classroom so I couldn't get them all in one picture. The class had to use from-scratch cake and the final project had to have at least 2 tiers. Beyond that they could use their imagination. There are a few that used rice cereal to mold into shapes and then cover with fondant. They could use buttercream icing, fondant and/or royal icing (piped or float and fill).







1 comment:

Erin said...

Love it! I wish I could have taken your class. Can't wait to see you guys!