Saturday, April 12, 2008

The Parable of the Carpet Layer

This experience happened a few months ago and during this past week I have had it vividly recalled to my memory. I learned some very important lessons. It might be long but it was important to me:

After a flood in our basement a few months ago we were having carpet repaired in our family room. The man who had come to take care of the job was a pleasant fellow. He was stretching and cutting a place in the carpet that had become warped, using his sharp carpet knife and stretching tool. He was busy at work near the kitchen and I standing on the other side of the counter while we were exchanging pleasantries. Suddenly I heard him call out, “Oh no!” He stood, right hand clutching his left ring finger.

“I’ve cut my finger. Do you have a band aid?” he asked.

I hurried to the other room and returned with the requested wrapping. I found the carpet layer near the front door. He saw me coming and called out to me, “The cut is too long and too deep. A band aid will not be enough. I have something out in my truck that will work better.” I suppose I expected he would rummage through his first aid kit and return with his hand properly bandaged with gauze. Imagine my surprise when instead, his wounded finger, as well as the ones immediately surrounding it, were tightly wrapped with silver duct tape. This was a use for duct tape I had not thought of before.

He hurried back to work but after a few minutes stopped and asked if I had some paper towels. It appeared the duct tape had not done the job sufficiently. While the carpet layer cleaned up the spots on the wall where he gotten some of his blood, he sent his assistant again to the truck to bring him back a large black glove. He covered his hand and went back to work.

The carpet layer finished the job and as I paid him I remarked that I was so sorry he had been injured.

“Oh, it’s my own fault. I was busy talking to you and not paying very careful attention to what I was doing.”

“Are you going to go to the hospital to have the wound cleaned and sutured?”

“No,” he replied. “It would take too long and I don’t have time. And besides it would cost too much.”

With that he turned, got into his truck, and drove away.

I have thought a lot about the carpet layer, hoping his hand healed without infection, knowing that a large scar would undoubtedly be left behind, a reminder of carelessness and injury. There are three lessons I learned that day after being witness to this strange event.

1. As we journey through life, in our endeavor to live obedient lives, if we are not vigilant and dedicated it will be easy to become distracted. When this happens, when we lose sight of our eternal goal, we are vulnerable to spiritual injury.
2. If we only attempt to cover up our sin, as the carpet layer did with his glove, it doesn’t go away and we will be left gnarled and scared. In our effort to hide our errors from the Lord, we will continue to reap the consequences of our actions.
3. If we are willing to humble ourselves, to do whatever is necessary to spiritually mend our wounds, to repent completely, then we can become whole and clean. Even if it takes some time and perhaps hurts more than what we would like in the process, it is the only way to complete forgiveness.

The carpet layer was willing to go through his entire life with a painful reminder of the mistake he make at my house one summer afternoon. We needn’t fall victim to that fate. The Savior paid the price for my peace of mind and clean life; higher than I can fathom, but one for which I am forever grateful. He told the prophet Joseph Smith, “.. I, God, have suffered these things for all, that they might not suffer if they would repent,” (D&C 19:16). He taught us that ridding ourselves of sin is the way to become clean; that we must repent in order to feel the healing balm of his great atonement. When we do all that we can to make things right with our Heavenly Father then we can trust the promise He made, “though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool,” (Isaiah 1:18).

1 comment:

SueBrown said...

Alynda,
that is a great story....I think you should submit it to the Ensign for those short stories in the back..
Say hi to everyone for me.
Love,
Sue Brown