Friday, September 10, 2010

Dead Meat

A couple of days ago it was beautiful outside and I had the door open to the backyard. A nice breeze was blowing, then I noticed a very icky smell. I quickly shut the door. We had had a family of cats (namely a mother and 3 kittens) in the backyard for several days so I was afraid that one had crawled under the deck and died (we have had a kitten in a window well that we rescued and another one that was not so lucky and died by the window).

When Jen got home I asked her to step outside and see if she smelled the same thing - yes! Now we were really concerned. I waited until Nick was there and asked him to check under the deck. He couldn't see anything, even with a flashlight, but we all realized something had to be there to produce such a smell.

He sniffed around and discovered the odor was worse on top of the deck. He found the source - a bucket of once dried pinto beans that Kennedy and Ellis had been playing with a few days ago. They got left out in the rain, and sun, then some more rain, and sun until they were nasty. Nick took them around to the trash and alas the smell was gone.

Last night was trash night and Jen and I could hear Nick groaning from the garage - or so we thought. I was afraid he had hurt himself so I went to check. He was okay, just outside the garage door, but was obviously in smelly pain as he put that bucket into the trash can.

Who thought beans could smell just dead meat!

No comments: