I don't know about you but winter takes its toll on me. About this time I start getting stir-crazy and am craving some outdoor time. There was an article in the newspaper this morning that had some great suggestions for managing the winter blues (people with severe symptoms have seasonal affective disorder or SAD). Here is the list of things that will help:
1. The number one therapy is exposure to sunlight or full-spectrum light for 20 minutes a day. A full-spectrum light bulb can be purchased at a hardware store.
2. Taking vitamin D (2000 units a day) helps simulate the suns rays.
3. Twenty minutes of sustained, vigorous exercise (it should leave your breathless) a week helps reduce depression. Examples from the article are walking around the block, scrubbing the kitchen, dancing to your favorite song, etc.
4. Be careful to eat less carbs. Opt for healthier carbs like veggies, whole grains and fruits.
5. Mix and mingle by extending yourself for some social interaction.
6. Be good to yourself - this can be as simple as dressing in bright colors. Don't beat yourself over things you can't change and concentrate on the ones you can.
I thought it was some good advice - I think I'll go and price a full-spectrum light bulb.
I'm Back
10 years ago

2 comments:
Hi Alynda, sorry I missed seeing you while I was in Rexburg. I think if I lived there all the time I would get the winter blues too. I think I only went out side 4 times in 10 days. We'll be back in March, hope to see you then.
Patty
Post a Comment